Managing and Treating Digital Eye Strain
In most cases, modifying your environment and how you use your digital devices will alleviate symptoms of digital eye strain.
Steps to take when using devices with screens:
- When working at a computer, position your screen so that it sits at least one meter away
- Ensure the area is well lit via ambient lighting. Be careful to avoid glare on your screen
- Follow the 20/20/20 rule – Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds
- Ensure your eyes are well lubricated. AKA, blink
- Talk to your optometrist about anti-glare coatings, blue light filters, and specialized computer/office lenses
If making some environmental and lifestyle changes just aren’t cutting it, come see us. We’ll perform an in-depth exam to determine if your symptoms are indicative of digital eye strain or if they’re a byproduct of something else.
Depending on the outcome of the exam, we may recommend several different treatment options.